Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Dress a Day sewing challenge

There's a blog - or site - Dress a Day
And in my stupidity I actually thought that was a sewing blog where the owner sews a dress a day for some time... like a month or a year or so. Nah. I really don't know what that is all about... I suppose in its previous incarnation it at least meant to post a dress every day for some certain period of time, but I don't know if that ever happened... they have kind of made the old site link to the new site, so that all the links to the old site lead to nowhere... :-( Which is very upsetting and tiresome and bothersome, so I lost interest.
But - the idea stayed.

So, I'm going to sew a dress a day for a year.
Or not. I don't think I can continue doing that for 365 days! And what would I do with 365 dresses?
Maybe a dress every day for a month? That I could do. I wouldn't mind having 30 summer dresses :-D
So - a dress a day sewing challenge during June 2020. 

I will be making the things from these two boards and then delete the boards, so if you see anything you like, pin it for yourself.
- Sewing Clothes; Dresses
- Summer dresses

There is a huge problem with this project, and that is that I have a limited amount of materials... I can't just decide to sew something, go and buy the materials, patterns, notions and such needed to sew it, I have to use what I have and only buy the absolute necessary...

So - I have to adjust my projects to the materials.

I am planning on using a lot of my stash, make new from old clothes, and other such things... I could buy some used clothes to make new things of them. I have some old sheets and such, which will make a couple of dresses, I assume.

Some things on my to do list:

40s dress for the garden tea party on my sister's birthday in July

Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress. I have wanted one for a couple of years.


I would like an infinity dress... though I don't think that's a good idea for a fat woman with big boobs :-D (But I have seen fat women with big boobs rock an infinity dress... so... maybe...)
I have a fitted jersey sheet put aside for this... I think I have to dye it, though... it's... beige-ish. Golden sand? Dun? Well... not my color :-D


I have a couple of dresses that are too small or not quite as I'd like them, for example one absolutely lovely flower dress, but it doesn't have sleeves, and - being a fat, old woman, I want sleeves. I also have one "singoalla" dress (peasant, gypsy, or something like that) but it doesn't have enough room for my boobs. Also, I have the dress I was wearing when I met my husband-to-be, and I'd like to have that in my size... it was 40 kilos ago ;-)
Also, I'd love to remake the jumpsuit I had that time... I loved it, but it was... that... beige-ish what ever color... oat? and it really doesn't fit me at all :-D I know it's not a dress, but does it really matter that much? I mean, it's the same kind of sewing, one just have to make pants instead of a skirt, and as it's palazzo pants, it looks kind of the same as a dress...
Now, this isn't quite like it, but it had the same kind of fitted bodice, short cap sleeves, wide legs and slightly raised waist - to my natural waist, which is high. Not quite empire line. It had open neckline, slightly v-d - not quite as generous as this one :-D Also, it had a back zipper, no buttons. It was soft viscose and I loved it.
but - this one comes very close :-D

No comments: