Friday, December 21, 2012

The Historical Sew Forthnightly

 


My ideas for this challenge:

#0 Starting simple

I think a Regency chemise is a simple and quick thing to sew. 

#1 Bi-Centennial

A Regency dress from 1813

#2 UFO

I have the 1911 corset :-D Though... I don't want one. So... maybe make the 18th-century stays I made the pattern for. Maybe use some of the materials for the 1911 corset for the 18th-century stays.

#3 undergarments :-D

Like, that's what I have been making :-D
Let's make the rest of the Regency undergarments. That's the stays and the petticoat.

#4 Embellishments... 

Hat. Let's embellish a Regency bonnet.

#5 The Common Woman... poor people. Hmm...

#6 Striped

Well... I found something "peasant-y" :-D


This is "Strawberry Girl" by Nils Schillmark, painted in 1782. Her clothes are most likely homespun, -dyed, and -woven linen. I have wanted that "skjörttröja" for some 30 years now :-D It is very easy to make, and very comfortable. And I think it's rather pretty. 

#7 Accessories...

I think I want to make gloves.
Specifically these gloves.


I think I could use them in my Mylady Winter cosplay.

#8 By the Sea

Well... what about these three bathing beauties?


I was thinking about the Victorian knitted underwear

#9 Flora and Fauna

I could paint my 18th-century frock fabric. 

#10 Literature

Milady Winter cosplay, of course. Though there's a lot to choose from here :-) I could make Irene Adler cosplay also. 

#11 Squares, Rectangles & Triangles

Eura dress has been on my TDL for a long time now... I love the "no waste" folk costume patterns. 


Another "no waste" pattern I need to do is the 16th-century Trossfrau shirt. 
I am also very interested in South-East Asian traditional costumes like Hanfu and Hanbok. They are very much sewn from geometric straight-edge pieces. 

#12 Pretty princesses... Hmmm...

You know, we all have the Dream Project... I have a very ambitious one, to make all the Queen Elizabeth I's portraits in costumes... especially the Rainbow Portrait. 


I am obsessed with that snake. And the colors are absolutely amazing, as well...
But not for this. 
So what... hmmm... I think Queen Maud of Norway was one of the best-dressed royals in world history. (With my very limited knowledge.)
Empress Sisi of Austria was also famous for her style and beauty, likewise Henrietta Maria of England. I could choose her and make the Mylady dress... But... hmm... I'll think about this, later.

Maybe Queen Margrethe I's golden gown? 

#13 Lace and lacing

I think I'll make it easy for me and make another corset :-D
I could also make the Trossfrau dress.

#14 Eastern Influence

The 1895 tea gown, for my Irene Adler cosplay.


#15 Colour Challenge White

Yeah, underwear :-D That stuff is always needed. (I could also make that smocked underdress for the tea gown.)

#16 Separates

This will be the cartridge pleated skirt.

#17 Robes and Robing

That would be my Robe anglaise retroussée à la polonaise, now when I have painted the fabric ;-)

#18 Remake, reuse, refashion, reshape, repurpose...

That would be my Jane Austen gown I'll be sewing from a modern skirt and shirt. 

#19 Wood, metal, bone...

The Renaissance frame purse. There will be metal in the frame and also in the gold embroidery.


#20 Outerwear

Now, I'm pretty sure there's a lot I should be doing, but let's take one of the Dream projects; this 1911 Paul Poiret coat with Raoul Dufy fabric - and let's make fake fur, too.


#21 Green

Huh. I could (finally) make the Eura costume. 

#22 Masquerade

This is actually the Halloween fortnight :-D I think I'd like some sort of Victorian masquerade costume... like Worth or something. :-D

Here we have Worth's Eve and Snake, a demon with fancy flames on her skirt, and Hecate. I also found an amazing Storm at Sea costume, with wild waves and ships in distress on the skirt, and a couple of furies, with wild hair and snakes and things :-D 

#23 The Thanksgiving theme

There's so much generosity around :-) I want to thank the whole Costube, the costumers of YouTube, those who make historical clothes and those who make cosplay things, the clothes historians who share information, and those who review costume movies and series. I want to thank all the makers of YouTube, especially those making tutorials. I have learned so much from YouTube videos, so I am grateful, even though some of the YouTube features and policies suck.

#24 Re-Do 

Let's decide this in November, OK :-D 

#25 One metre challenge... oh... (You could easily do 1 yard challenge, it's about the same)

A lot of things to do with 1 yard of fabric. 
- parasol cover
- hat
- bag
- mask
- hoods, cowls, gollars, collars
- scarfs,
- handkerchiefs
- gloves, mittens
- belt
- socks, stockings
- spats
- muff, cap, and muffetees (wrist covers)
- apron and sleeve covers
- underwear

#26 Celebrate!

Now... this should be some sort of silver dress for New Year's Eve... I kind of like this Mary Magdalene by Carlo Crivelli, with her embroidered jacket and star skirt. It reminds me of Skandinavian folk dresses. We don't see much of the rest of her outfit, as her cape covers her lower body. We just see her toes covered in white, could be soft shoes or stockings :-D But that jacket is amazing. All that heavy gold embroidery. Her hair is amazing as well, and that necklace is very interesting.



No comments: