Thursday, January 01, 2009

Imbolc calendar day 1

I am Pagan, and I have chosen to celebrate the eight Sabbaths of witches. Next in line is Imbolc. Imbolc is the first day of spring and it has been replaced in the Xian culture with the festival of light, Candlemas. It is Valo's nameday in Finland. Valo naturally comes from Valentinus, but in Finnish Valo means light. St. Valentine's day is celebrated usually 14th of February, not 2nd, but the traditions, symbols, colors and everything fits well in Imbolc.

"The holiday is a festival of the hearth and home, and a celebration of the lengthening days and the early signs of spring."

Frankly, I don't intend my blog to be educational, so I am just expecting that everyone follows the count down for their own reasons, takes what they like, discards rest. None of what I am going to present has religious significance in itself. You make your things holy, the things don't make you holy - or unholy.



CF Projects: Steampunk Heart

I love the idea of steampunk... I like the Victorian and Edwardian styles, but I wouldn't like to give up any of my comfortability or the modern inventions. Steampunk kind of combines these two. Just look at this computer... I especially love the old typewriter keys... *sigh*
I wonder who'd make me one of those ;-) Come on, now, it's my 40th birthday in 3 2/3 months!

Really cute Valentine's ideas

Knit a heart
"This quick and easy knitting pattern makes a cute heart to stuff with batting or fill with herbs for a relaxing aromatherapy pillow next to the bed or as a sachet to keep your drawers, closet or car smelling fresh. "

How to make a herbal bath bag
You could fill your heart with something like this... have a bowl in bathroom with some bath sacks and wash cloths and such...

You can also make your own bath bombs. You can make them heart shaped ;-)

Make your own bath salt - don't use table salt.

Suitable scents for Imbolc are the evergreens; pine, cypress, spruce, juniper and citrus fruits, like orange and lemon. (Yes, it's not a coincidence that cleaning products are often scented with these :-D)

No comments: